We follow Read Write Inc in Reception and then move onto Optima in Year 1 and 2. IF you would like to support your child with their phonics over the coming months, we are suggesting the following:
- Read Write Inc have a 10 minute daily phonics video lesson. Set 1 – 9:30am Set 2- 10am and Set 3: 10:30am. These videos are only online for 24 hours. This is the website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo7fbLgY2oA_cFCIg9GdxtQ Reception children to look at Set 1 and 2. Year 1 and 2 to look at Set 2 and 3. Have a look and see where your child is at and match accordingly.
- Red and Green words – The green words are the words the children can sound out, and the red words are the ones they have to remember off by heart. If you print out the words, like flash cards, and go through them each day. This document created by another school have all the red and green words: http://www.horningsham.schnet.org/Resources/user/New%20Curriculum/RWI%20Parent%20support%20materials.pdf
In summary, if you would like to continue with phonics learning at your children’s pace, have a go at this:
- Go through the green and red words (children reading them, not writing)
- Watch the small video daily
- Practice your child’s reading (make sure they enjoy it!)
Please keep your eye on our website for word mats and more resources. You can always find practice RWI lesson videos online if you wanted more of an understanding.
- Count reliably with numbers from one to 20, place them in order and say which number is one more or one less than a given number.
- Using quantities and objects, they add and subtract two single-digit numbers and count on or back to find the answer.
- The solve problems, including doubling, halving and sharing.