Maths Mastery at Blackwater
At Blackwater Primary School, we believe everyone can achieve in maths.
We encourage a positive attitude in our children where mistakes are seen as opportunities for learning, encouraging them in the belief that by being resilient they can succeed. At Blackwater, we wish to dispel the misconception that people are born with or without a gift for maths and that with aspiration; the sky is the limit for all.
We wish to enable our children to achieve mastery in mathematics by providing learning opportunities to develop:
* fluency in understanding and manipulation of number and calculation methods.
* the ability to reason mathematically
* the ability to problem solve in maths and across the curriculum.
We aim to provide challenging and nurturing learning environment where mistakes are viewed as opportunities for new neurological pathways to be formed. We set high expectations and levels of challenge but plan and deliver learning opportunities that are accessible for all. We create interesting contexts where children can apply their maths learning across the curriculum.
We create a growth mindset maths culture at Blackwater by:
* instilling a ‘can do’ attitude in all of our children
* celebrating achievement in maths in monthly assemblies
* sharing our enthusiasm for mathematics
* using concrete materials throughout the school to build understanding before moving on to visual and abstract representation of the maths.
* providing opportunities for meaningful practice involving variety and challenge to develop fluency
* encouraging reasoning through emphasis on the ‘how’ and ‘why’.
* providing accessible yet challenging problem solving activities to enable children to make connections between different areas of mathematics and the wider curriculum.
* providing timely interventions and pre-teaching to enable pupils to access mathematics.
When our children see their achievements, we see them learning to love maths. We enjoy seeing our children inspired by maths in the wider world and engaging with it.